Ready for Your Summer Vacation?
Here are a few tips to keep you and your home safe while enjoying your vacation:
Before You Leave
- Tell a neighbor your travel plans and ask them to keep an eye on your property and alert the police to any suspicious activity.
- Lock all your windows and doors. Don’t forget about doors leading to the garage or second-story windows.
- Have mail and newspaper delivery stopped.
- Take pictures of the front and back of your debit and credit cards in case your cards are lost or stolen.
- Consider using a digital wallet, such as Apple Pay, Android Pay, or Samsung Pay.
- Notify credit card companies of your travel plans, especially if you’ll be out of the country.
At the Airport
Once you arrive at the airport, there are a few safety tips to keep in mind.
- When going through security, put your laptop on the x-ray belt last. This way your laptop will come out after your carryon luggage and hopefully about the time you are cleared. You don’t want your laptop in the open for too long.
- On the airplane, if you don’t put your luggage under the seat in front of you, put it in the overhead bin across the aisle from you. You’ll be able keep an eye on your bag during flight to ensure nobody is opening your luggage.
While on Vacation
- Stay off social media. Don’t share too much information on your social networks. Refrain from posting photos, status updates, or “checking in” while away from home.
- If you have several credit cards, keep them in separate places. If your wallet is lost or stolen, you don’t want to lose all of your credit cards.
- Be wary of public Wi-Fi. Hackers can easily access your information, including credit card numbers.
Here’s hoping your trip is safe, happy, and filled with lasting memories!