Spring break doesn’t always have to mean boarding a plane to a warm vacation spot. Sometimes the best vacation can be spent at home catching up with friends and family, and doing things you wouldn’t normally have time to do at school. Here are some tips to make the most of your staycation!
- Thrift shopping – Visit thrift stores and try to find the best deals. If you go with friends, try to see who can score the best item for the cheapest price.
- Road trip around your state – Take the time to explore your local neck of the woods. You may be surprised – there may be something in your state you never knew about! Check Google or Yelp for fun suggestions.
- Movie marathon – Finding two free hours at school can be tricky, especially between studying, classes and clubs. Now you’ll finally have the time to catch up on any movies you’ve wanted to watch.
- Get reacquainted with the kitchen – We’ve all seen a video (especially those sixty-second Facebook videos) on how to make a certain meal or dessert that looked delicious and easy, but never had the time to try it. Now you’ll have the time to make everything you’ve been wanting to.
- Watch the sunrise or sunset – Watching a sunset or sunrise is a simple, yet fun activity. You’ll have the time to truly appreciate it without being overwhelmed by the work you’d be doing while in school.
- Save a ton of money – Spring break can be expensive if you’re traveling, but by staying at home you can save a lot of money! You can save even more if you spend your week working. All the spring breakers might have a nice tan, but you’ll have a full wallet.
- Spend time with family and friends – Chances are you don’t get to see your family and friends a lot during the semester. Even if you go to school close to home, things get pretty busy. Take this time to catch up and visit your family members! They miss you while you are gone and will really appreciate the time you spend with them.
- Hike to the highest spot in town – Enjoy the outdoors as the weather starts to warm up and go outside for a hike. You can visit your favorite hiking path or you can seek out new places around your hometown.
- Volunteer – During your time at home, you can give back to your community. Volunteering is a rewarding experience and it will look great on your resume.
- Catch up on sleep – Chances are the first half of the semester left you feeling pretty tired. This is a great opportunity to sleep in. Catching up on your sleep will help you feel refreshed and ready to finish the semester strong!
I hope you enjoy these activity ideas during your spring break staycation or any free time you have coming up. These inexpensive activities will help you relax before returning to school or work. What other ideas would you add?
~Olivia Fay, VP of Unbanking