Are you still trying to find the perfect Halloween costume for this year? Do you want to be something creative and fun, but not break the bank? I have some suggestions for you that are easy to make, and can be created with items you probably already have. Want to make it stand out even more? Personalize it! With all the great ideas I have found, don’t be afraid to make it your own by adding extra decorations, colors, or features! Below is a list of 10 affordable Halloween costumes for 2016!
- Ghost: This is a classic but always fun costume! The basics are simple- , just get a sheet and cut holes in it for eyes, and cut the bottom of the sheet for the flow-like look.
- Skeleton: To be a skeleton for Halloween you need to start with black pants and a top. Next you will need white paint. Using this paint draw the bones! It also helps to wear a white hat, a skeleton face mask or paint your face white.
- Mad Scientist: For this costume you need a white coat, messy hair, taped glasses and a test tube in your pocket. You can add science goggles, spike you hair or even add hair dye to perfect the look!
- Roman Emperor: This is another fun costume that doesn’t require much. You just need to wrap a white sheet around you to make it look like a toga. Next put on some shiny sandals and leafy ivy around your head. You can add a colorful sash, gold jewelry or a gold belt to perfect the look!
- Chef: This is a costume that can be mostly compiled of things just lying around your house. All you need is an apron, any sort of cooking utensils such as a spatula, whisk, bowl or roller. You’ll need to get, make or find a chef’s hat! Put on some black shoes to complete the look and you’re good to go!
- Scarecrow: To be a scarecrow you’ll need a flannel shirt, straw hat, and some makeup. First you’ll need the flannel shirt and some old blue jeans or overalls; even better if they are ripped or have patches on them! Next, you’ll need a straw hat and some face paint. You can even attach hay or stick it in your pockets to give the full scarecrow look.
- Tourist: Tourist is another easy costume where most of the supplies can be find around your house. First you’ll need a Hawaiian shirt, if you don’t have one you can go to a local consignment shop where you can likely find one for cheap! You just need to get a camera, which can also be useful for taking pictures wherever you go for Halloween! You can also add sneakers, a fanny pack, knee high socks and even a bucket hat to give off that classic tourist look!
- Athlete: All you need is a sports jersey, some knee high socks and some sneakers! Depending on the type of athlete you’re looking for, you could add shoulder pads, a baseball glove, hockey stick, or a soccer ball to really drive home the costume.
- Cat: Another classic! All you need is to dress in all black, wear some cat ears and face paint some whiskers and a cat nose on. This is a quick and easy one.
- Rocker: For the perfect rocker look you’ll need a pair of black jeans, leather pants or tights, a leather jacket, boots and make-up. Apply dark make-up around your eyes or put on some dark glasses. You can also add a choker necklace, hold a guitar and spike your hair to give off the perfect rocker vibes!
Hopefully these tips will help you find the perfect affordable costume. If you have any other ideas feel free to comment below. I hope you have a safe and happy Halloween!
~Olivia Fay, VP of Unbanking